Max's (of Manila) Restaurant's beginnings started in 1945, after World War II. Maximo Gimenez, a Stanford - educated teacher, befriended the American occupation troops stationed at Quezon City. Because of this friendship, the soldiers regularly visited Maximo's nearby home for a drink or two. Later on, the troops insisted that they pay for their drinks. This prompted Maximo to open a cafa where the troops could enjoy food and drinks. Over the years, Max's Restaurant's popularity grew and became known as "the house that fried chicken built". It has expanded in Metro Manila, Southern and Northern Luzon, Cebu and California, USA. Max's Restaurant has established itself as a household name, an institution, and a proud Filipino tradition.