Oh thank heaven for 7-Eleven, the world’s largest chain of extended hour convenience stores, many of which are open 24 hours a day. Founded in Texas in 1927, 7-Eleven has grown into a global empire with more than 52,000 locations worldwide. 7-Eleven offers a wide variety of snacks, fresh food, on-the-go items, and beverages—such as the iconic Slurpee and Big Gulp.
Full Franchise Information
7-Eleven is one of the most recognizable brands and is the world’s largest operator, franchisor and licensor of convenience stores. With a turnkey business model, no royalty on sales, and multiple ways to franchise, 7-Eleven is an incredible opportunity for those looking for an easy way to own their own franchise.
The History of 7-Eleven
7-Eleven started in Dallas, Texas, in 1927 when an employee at the Southland Ice Company began selling perishables like milk, eggs and bread in front of one of the company’s ice houses. A company manager, Joe C. Thompson, bought the Southland Ice Company, turned it into the Southland Corporation, then started opening locations across Texas. The initial stores were called “Tote’m”, since there was an iconic totem pole outside one of the stores, and the customers “toted away” their purchases. In 1946, store hours were extended to 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., and the store name changed to match, thus 7-Eleven was born.
A Turnkey Business Venture
One of the best parts about the 7-Eleven franchise opportunity is the ease of opening one. 7-Eleven takes care of finding a location, the zoning approval process, store build out and equipment installation. In addition, 7-Eleven pays for rent, utilities, real estate taxes and more. All you need to do is be ready to open one of the most well-recognized convenient stores in the world!
- 7‑Eleven had record store growth in 2012 and passed the 50,000-store mark in the first quarter of 2013, beating McDonald’s and holding the title for world’s largest chain store.
- Forbes listed 7‑Eleven as No. 1 on its Top 200 Global Franchise Companies in 2013
- 7‑Eleven was third on Fast Company’s 2013 list of the “World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Retail”
- Hispanic Magazine named 7‑Eleven as one of its Hispanic Corporate Top 100 Companies, providing the most opportunities to Hispanics
- U.S. Veterans Magazine recognized 7-Eleven as one of the Top 100 Veteran-friendly companies three years running (2012, 2013 and 2014)
- 7-Eleven ranked first of Entrepreneur’s Global Franchise Companies