Dickey's Barbecue Pit ®
Dickey's is the largest BBQ franchise in America and has been named Fast Casual's #1 brand. Dickey's owners have multiple revenue streams, including in-restaurant dining, event catering, online orders, retail (bbq sauce, cookbooks, gift cards), deliveries, and special holiday offerings. No restaurant experience needed - total training and support is provided.
Facts & Figures
Liquid capital required
Net worth required
$289,939 - $421,244
Units in operation
The FranchiseHelp Brief
What is it?
- The largest BBQ franchise in the world, Dickey’s built its success on authentic Texas-style barbecue and Southern comfort food
- Franchise locations range from full stand-alone restaurants to shopping center end-caps to non-traditional setups in airports, food courts and more.
How does it make money?
- Multiple revenue streams
- In addition to traditional in-store and takeout dining sales, owners generate revenue through catering and holiday events, plus retail sales of cookbooks, gift cards, and BBQ sauce.
Who is it for?
- People with strong managerial experience; Dickey's will teach you the restaurant operations, but you’ll need to build and lead a great management team
- Entrepreneurs with a sufficient budget; you'll need access to at least $100,000 to open a location
- People who are active in their community
What would you do as a franchisee?
- As a franchisee you are responsible for running the business and marketing your restaurant.
- Your managers will handle the food preparation and service.
Dickey's Barbecue Pit
About Dickey’s Barbecue Pit
Dickey’s Barbecue Pit first opened in 1941 and has since grown into the largest barbecue chain in the world. Dickey’s offers seven slow-smoked, Texas-style meats and a variety of savory sides, all served with a touch of southern hospitality. Since 1941, Dickey’s has slow-smoked their meats overnight, every night to ensure its authentic flavor.
At Dickey’s, we pride ourselves on serving our guests authentic, Texas-style barbecue in our stores that feel like an extension of the owner’s home. At 1,500 square feet, our locations offer an experience where guests feel like they are dining with family. The kitchen is an open concept where guests can see the meat being smoked and the sides being prepared. When guests enter any Dickey’s location they are greeted with “Welcome to Dickey’s” and then have a conversation with the Pit Boss crafting their meal at the block.
Dickey’s Texas-Style Barbecue and Savory Sides
Long before our guests arrive, we begin slow smoking our barbecue with hickory wood smokers at every location, every day just as it was done in 1941. In fact, we are so passionate about the quality of our ingredients that our meats are rubbed by hand with family recipes passed down from earlier generations. And as you know, you can’t have great barbecue without savory sides. Dickey’s offers a variety of homestyle side options for guests that are the perfect complement to their slow-smoked meat.
Dickey’s Barbecue Pit offers a successful business model, low start-up costs, multiple revenue streams and an expert Home Office support team for franchise owners. Dickey’s also ensures every owner is fully prepared to open their own location by teaching them everything from how to smoke a brisket to how to create the best Pit Crew in our three-week training course, Barbecue University. Franchise owners enjoy the following features at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit:
- 6 Revenue Streams
- 20 years of experience in real estate to support you during site selection
- A project manager to support you during the construction phase (No charge)
- Low franchise fees ($20,000 for the first restaurant and $15,000 for each additional restaurant)
- Operations support
- Marketing support
- Business model provided (no restaurant experience required)
- Comprehensive training program – Barbecue University
- Group purchasing power
- Veteran discounts available*
- Various locations available ranging from traditional to non-traditional and c-stores
Award Winning Franchise
Over the years, Dickey’s Barbecue Pit has won awards such as our most recent awards:
- Top 500 Franchises 2018 (Entrepreneur)
- #1 on Fast Casual Top 100 Movers & Shakers List (Fast Casual 2016)
- 2016 Top Franchise (Entrepreneur Franchise 500)
- Consumer Picks - 1st Place Specialty Segment (NRN 2014, 2015, 2016)
- QSR Best Franchise Deal (2012, 2015)
The Dickey Foundation
Since 1941, Dickey’s Barbecue Pit has taken great pride in our Texas style barbecue and our commitment to the communities we serve. It is in that spirit, that The Dickey Foundation was created. The Dickey Foundation supports first responders who protect and unite our communities. Our Foundation is national, but our efforts are intensely local, focusing on financial support, public education, and providing the equipment necessary for the safety of our first responders.