Posted on Jan 23, 2012
Five Business Tactics You Can Learn from Lady Gaga
Are successful business owners born that way? Lady Gaga has become a music super star, and director of her lucrative career. With her sky rocketing success and millions of fans, there are a few business moves she’s made that you might consider to help take your small business to the edge of glory.
- Get a Great Creative Team: While she is a one woman show, there are a lot of people behind her unique hairstyles, makeup and clothing. Haus of Gaga is a talented group of designers that creates Lady Gaga’s public image. Finding a creative team that will support and collaborate with you can help make your visions of success a reality.
- Improve Upon Already Proven Hits: Ever since it hit airwaves, Gaga’s “Born This Way” has been compared to Madonna’s “Express Yourself”. In a recent interview Madonna said of Gaga’s similar tune, “I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song.. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was..interesting." Say what you will about being reductive, but Gaga’s song sold a million copies worldwide and became the fastest selling song in iTunes history. The takeaway for your business, improving upon a previous hit can lead to a big win. Look at Subway’s rival Quiznos. All you need to do sometimes is add some heat, or a different beat, and you can get a hot new take on great business idea.
- Be Controversial: Besides having a similar style and sound of her influences, Gaga’s controversy spans several different mediums. May it be her mode of transportation, her adamant speeches for gay rights, or showing up places dressed in bubbles, the paparazzi are never far behind her. Standing out or standing up for core principles that impact your industry can get you noticed, and get you fans. Don’t be afraid to speak out for what you believe will make your business or the world surrounding it a better place.
- Get a Core Community: Target the community you want to shine in, and speak with them and to them. Gaga’s core community is gay men. By targeting her demographic and immersing herself in it, she gained exposure and support. Find out where your company fits in and celebrate that community alongside it.
- Utilize Social Media: With over 18 million followers, Gaga is a Twitter success story. Her feed is a great example of how to utilize Twitter for business advantages. She replies to her users, and talks to them about what she’s working on. She’s also offered bonus tracks and leads on events to her followers before alerting other media outlets. These rewards for followers are a great way to succeed in Twitter marketing.
Sue Funke is a comedic writer with a background in e-commerce. She studied writing at Hofstra University and writes for several online publications. You can see her performances on YouTube or learn more about her online store at http://FunkeIndustries.tumblr.com
NEXT POST: Franchises in the News